Skip links and keyboard navigation

Frequently asked questions

Do I need to receive advice from an adviser who is an Accredited Agricultural Adviser (AAA) to claim the Farming in Reef Catchments Rebate?

Yes. To claim a rebate, the advice must be provided by an AAA listed on Queensland Rural and Industry Development Authority’s (QRIDA) website when your claim is submitted.

My adviser was not an AAA at the time of providing advice but has now become an AAA. Can I claim the rebate?

Yes. You are able to claim a rebate retrospectively. However, your adviser must be an AAA when you submit your claim and the advice provided retrospectively must be in line with the Information for Accredited Agricultural Adviser Program Applicants.

Your adviser must also provide you with a statement declaring the eligible professional advice has been provided in line with information for Accredited Agricultural Adviser Program Applicants for the purposes of seeking a rebate under the Farming in Reef Catchments Rebate Scheme.

What does my advice need to include?

The content of the eligible professional advice for the sugarcane, banana and beef cattle industries are outlined in Appendix 1 of the Farming in Reef Catchments Rebate Scheme Guidelines. For more information about the minimum practice agricultural standards see Reef Protection Regulations.

Is the rebate also available to cover the costs of implementing the advice?

Rebates are only available to help offset the cost of seeking professional advice on managing nutrient and sediment pollution. Rebates are not provided for implementing the actions provided in the advice.

I have multiple commercial agricultural properties in the Great Barrier Reef regions. Can I claim a rebate for advice received on each separate commercial property?

Yes. However, the commercial agricultural properties must be operated under separate Australian Business Numbers (ABN), (i.e. they are different primary production enterprises) and you must have paid for and received separate written advice from an AAA for each commercial agricultural property.

My commercial agricultural property is not involved in cane, banana, or beef cattle production. Can I still claim a rebate?

No.  To claim a rebate, you must operate a primary production enterprise on a commercial agricultural property which involves beef cattle grazing, sugarcane farming or banana growing.

What are the tax implications for rebates received under the scheme?
Questions concerning your personal taxation circumstances should be directed to your taxation adviser or the Australian Taxation Office on 13 72 86.

Is the GST amount shown on invoices included in assistance calculations?

If you are registered for GST, the rebate will be calculated on the invoice amount excluding GST.

If you are not registered for GST, the assistance will be calculated on the invoice amount including GST.

If you are GST registered, you may be eligible to claim the GST component as part of your normal Business Activity Statement (BAS) submissions.

What options do I have if I am dissatisfied with the outcome of my claim?

If you would like to discuss a claim or appeal a decision, you can call QRIDA on Freecall 1800 623 946 or email

Has your question been answered?

If you require further assistance, please contact QRIDA on:

Phone: Freecall 1800 623 946
Post:   GPO Box 211, Brisbane, QLD, 4001

Last updated
29 November 2019