Skip links and keyboard navigation

14 February 2019: Financial assistance extended to flood-affected rural areas of Winton shire

14 February 2019

Residents in rural parts of the Winton Shire Council area are now able to access financial assistance and support services following the recent flooding.

Communities Minister Coralee O’Rourke said that areas of North-West Queensland had been particularly hard-hit by the floods.

“This includes areas within the Flinders, Richmond, McKinlay and Cloncurry Shire councils that have experienced devastating flooding,” Mrs O’Rourke said.

“Rural areas in the Winton shire have seen the same devastation, so we have activated these areas so assistance can be directed to those experiencing hardship and needing a helping hand.

“Many local farmers have already been doing it very tough from the prolonged drought, so to now have to deal with the effects of significant rain and flooding has been heartbreaking.

“That’s why it’s so important that assistance flows to these areas.”

Mrs O’Rourke said Community Recovery staff were in close contact with local councils to target support to people affected.

‘’We are also working with the Queensland Rural and Industry Development Authority (QRIDA) as the specialist provider of government financial and advisory support to rural and regional Queensland,” she said.

“The flooding is adding extra stress to farmers in particular so we’re working with Queensland Health and non-government partners to ensure people have the emotional support they need to get through this experience.

More information about support available through the QRIDA is available at

Emergency Hardship Assistance grants, through jointly-funded Commonwealth/State Disaster Relief Funding Arrangements (DRFA), are now available to people in the activated areas.

“These grants help cover the costs of essential items – such as food, medication and clothing – for people directly impacted by this flooding,” Mrs O’Rourke said.

“Up to $180 per person, to a maximum of $900 for a family of five or more, is available to people experiencing genuine financial hardship as a result of flooding.”

The grants are available to residents in rural parts of Winton Shire Council – excluding the Winton township. Affected residents can go to or download the Self Recovery app for information or to apply for grants, including Emergency Hardship Grants.

People without internet access can ring the Community Recovery Hotline on 1800 173 349 to apply for grants and for advice on how to access to support services.

For more information about the Palaszczuk Government’s community recovery efforts go to


Media Contact: 0419 562 389

This media statement was issued by the Communities Minister Coralee O’Rourke

Last updated
14 February 2019